03 April 2011

a group of pill pushers

Friday was a good day.

To start, the eye team had a meeting from 8am-10am, which meant I could sleep in an extra hour.  In the meeting we discussed detail about our upcountry trips.  I will be going on the second trip, April 26-29.  The first trip is April 12-15, to the city of Koidu in Kono District.  Koidu is located on the other side of Sierra Leone, near the country's eastern border with Guinea.  It is the heart of Sierra Leone's diamond mining industry and about 50% of the country's Gross Domestic Product comes from the diamonds of this district.  While details for this trip are mostly ironed out, the details for the second trip are not.  We are still not decided on a location, so please pray for guidance and discernment for our leadership in making these plans.

After our meeting, the eye team was pretty much finished for the day (Fridays are our slow days since we don't usually have patients then), so I went to work my Minor Job.  Crew members are able to volunteer to do Minor Jobs in various departments, working once a week or whenever available.  I decided to work in the pharmacy with my pharmacist friend, Miriam, from New Zealand.  The rest of the afternoon, I counted and packaged loads of children's multi-vitamins (eating all the halves I came across) and ibuprofen into small bags.  The pharmacy has only two main crew members, so they really love having the extra help to get caught up with small things like this.

To continue with my good day, the kitchen served Breakfast for Dinner, which was a bit of a new concept for some of the ships non-American crew members.  I, on the other hand, wish we could have this meal every Friday.  Scrambled eggs, bacon (more like ham), French toast, homefries....some of my favorites!  For whatever reason, the galley insists (!) on appeasing the Brits by serving beans with hot breakfast.  ATTENTION UNITED KINGDOM: BAKED BEANS ARE NOT A BREAKFAST FOOD.  They should be reserved for picnics and/or only served with hot dogs.  I digress.  The meal was awesome, and a large chunk of my evening after that was spent reading the hilariously witty "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson, about hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Tomorrow, we've got another day of eye screening at Kissy Eye Hospital, so be in prayer for the success of that.  That's all for now!  Take care.

4 comments:

  1. Love to read you adventures Seth. Keep the faith.
    Flip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/4/11 03:43

    oh gosh , and now you probably resemble Popeye after ingesting all the half-vitamins....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/4/11 14:43

    Seth, We have been served baked beans with breakfast in New Hampshire also. I love reading your blog; may God continue to bless you and the Mercy Ship crew.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seth, maybe the Brits eat their beans in the morning to maintain peristalsis for the day. They are just "regular" guys I guess.

    ReplyDelete