17 May 2011

like a ship at ocean

As I mentioned in a recent newsletter, the verse Proverbs 19:21 has been weighing on my heart a lot recently.  It reads "You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail."  I've come to learn that sometimes the Lord's purpose prevails more subtly than other times.  Yesterday was not one of those times.

Each Monday morning, there is a ship-wide Communications Meeting where important announcements and information can be disseminated.  A few weeks ago some rumors of the ship's sailing schedule started filtering throughout the on-board community and it was announced that the true plans would be announced at Monday's meeting.  So yesterday morning, Donovan Palmer (the ship's managing director) announced that the M/V Africa Mercy will not be sailing to Tenerife (The Canary Islands) in December, as originally planned.  Instead, the ship will have a short break in the country of Ghana, before heading to the next-door country of Togo for a new field service!  The reason for the change is as follows: Typically, a field service lasts from February through November, with shipyard occurring in December and January.  This means that a West African field service spans the typically wicked rainy season, infamous in this part of the continent.  The new plan is to have field services be from about September to June, with shipyard in July and August, thus avoiding medical outreach during the rainiest part of the year.  So, the tentative plan for now is Ghana in December, a short Togo field service January-June, shipyard July-August, and Guinea field service for Fall 2012.

Long story short: I will still be home for Christmas, just not sure where I'll be flying home from.  Cue the "I'll be Home for Christmas" music.  Right now, there are no solid dates, but I will be sure to keep everyone updated as I know more information.

Onto other things: There isn't a whole lot new to report.  We began a series of screenings on Fridays, in an effort to find more surgical candidates.  We will alternate between Pastor Moses's church (see a previous post "freedom"), and churches in the surrounding communities of Hastings and Waterloo.  We screened in Hastings last Friday, so I will share a few photos from that.

One of the pastor's sons, outside the main entrance of the church.

This girl's immaculately white dress was odd to see in this dusty, dirty environment.

I soon had an audience wanting me to "snap" them.  The kid with the toothpick was cracking me up.

More local children.

The building had large open windows letting both curious children and pesky chickens into the church.

Inside the sanctuary.  The colorful banners are quite popular in churches here in Sierra Leone.

The pastor's daughter, helping us load chairs into the Land Rovers.  Note her new sunglasses we gave her.

One of the pastor's sons, sporting his new shades.

The Glory Assembly of God in Hastings.  Lorraine, the Scottish nurse on my Peri-Op Team, in front. 

As usual, I ended up with more photos of the children than of the actual screening!  Luckily, one of the ship's photographers, Debra, accompanied us on the trip, so I will soon be able to put up some of her professional photos.  

A few things to keep in prayer for the week:
  • Eye screenings and surgeries
  • My possible driving test on Friday (I'm getting pretty good at driving stick!)
  • Two crew members, Todd and Gina, who were both admitted into the ship's hospital this weekend, with malaria and internal bleeding, respectively.  Both are recovering in stable condition now.  
On a final note, a few shout outs are necessary.  Congrats to newlyweds Hannah and Ernie Golen!  I interned with Hannah at Rockbridge last summer and I wish them the best of luck in their marriage!  Next, (comma) I'd like to say hi to Kathy Iannamorelli, (comma) one of the blog's most diehard readers, (comma) or so my source says. (period) <---- get it, La??  And finally, congrats to Anna White for winning the "First to Arrive" prize in my mix-CD competition.  I'm currently holding a contest for the best mix-CD, and Anna's arrived today and is fantastic.  Thanks for the new music!

That's all for now.  Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. If I could join you, Seth, I would. Your time there seems so amazing! Keep it up!

    p.s. I plan on outdoing everyone in the CD contest. Get pumped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a chicken in my pew, I'd be swinging from the lights! Love and prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete