20 August 2011

tamba

Back in my post "teeth", I wrote about a boy named Tamba.  Hailing from the eastern Kono District, Tamba was born with severely deformed, clubbed feet.  His feet were practically backwards.  When he first arrived at the ship, volunteers had to help hold up his scared, emaciated body.

"'In that day,' declares the Lord, 'I will gather the lame; I will assemble the exiles and those I have brought to grief.'"  Micah 4:6 [NIV]



Tamba stayed on the hospital ward for over two months.  Before he even had surgery, his feet and legs were casted for several weeks.  During his hospital stay, he would come visit me in the Eye Room, where we would talk and decorate his wheelchair with balloons.  He is an incredibly sociable kid!  At the end of May, after two lengthy surgeries and a series of castings, Tamba was discharged to the Hope Center, Mercy Ships' lodging facility for out-of-town patients.  Tamba would return to the ship once a week for physical therapy.  


Last week, while working in the OR office at my new job, I got a phone call from Deb, the head photographer on board.  She said that Tamba was being discharged and would be heading back to Kono District the following day.  She then said that he asked to see me!  I quickly headed for the dock where I was able to see Tamba one last time.  His casts were removed and he had on proper shoes and simple braces.  He had undergone a radical transformation!


"He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire.  He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along."  Psalm 40:2 [NLT]

Tamba arriving for his final appointment, with his auntie.

"A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health."  Proverbs 15:30 [NLT]


"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain.  All these things are gone forever."  Revelation 21:4 [NLT]

I sat and talked with Tamba and his auntie for a few minutes. As I did, his aunt showed me his before and after photos and then they got passed around, through a group of patients and caregivers, waiting to be admitted.  One woman, who was cradling her infant, awaiting cleft-lip surgery, looked down at Tamba's before photo.  She quickly looked up at Tamba, then back down at the photo.  A look of astonishment flooded her face.  Words did not need to tell me that she could hardly believe his metamorphosis.  Tamba told me he was very much looking forward to returning to his village, where he would be reunited with his family after nearly a five month absence.  Before I headed back to work, Tamba quietly asked, "Do you have e-mail?"  I said "Of course!  But do you have e-mail?"  He said no, but I happily gave him my e-mail address, telling him that one day he will have access to a computer, and that I expect him to write.  


"Tears of joy will stream down their faces, and I will lead them home with great care.  They will walk beside quiet streamsand on smooth paths where they will not stumble."  Jeremiah 31:9 [NLT]

[Special thanks to the Africa Mercy Communications Department for photo-documenting the many patient stories on board the ship.]





4 comments:

  1. I think you have made a friend for life even though you will be miles apart. The before and after pictures of Tamba were awesome. I am so glad the doctors are able to do such miracles as these and I hope they realize that the miracles they perform come only through Him, our Saviour. I love you and am glad you are able to experience all of the wonderful things that take place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing story. What a beautiful transformation- it is incredible what God can do when he puts his children in the hands of caring doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sat before the monitor screen, tears rolling down my cheeks, just reading about how incredible it must feel to have touched this boy's life and how he will never forget you, his friend. I'm reminded that people will forget what you say, but they will never forget how you make them feel. Thank you for "getting you hands dirty" in service to others for the Lord. Someday, just when you may need it the most, you may just get an e-mail that will lift you out of your darkest moments, brighten your day, and put a smile on your face as you remember his smile as well. Pro. 3:5-6

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete