28 April 2012

laughing heart

Warning: haphazard thoughts ensue.

I'm leaving Africa in two days...TWO DAYS!  I can hardly believe it.  While I'm very excited for what is planned in the next few months, the truth is that I have shear discomfort thinking about what I will be doing in the latter part of the summer, when all my scheduled plans are complete.  

Now, I know that God has a plan for me, etc., and that I shouldn't spend my time worrying, etc.  I can accept this.  What I'm struggling with right now is finding a balance between resting in this but also being proactive in figuring out what is the next chapter for my life.  

"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps."  Proverbs 16:9.

I found the following poem yesterday and I love it.  It's exactly what a needed to read as I prepare to finish my chapter on the Africa Mercy.  

The Laughing Heart

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

by Charles Bukowski

3 comments:

  1. I just read your last posting from the Africa Mercy ship. Those blogs have kept me connected to you. I enjoyed reading the poem but in it it refers to "gods". You and I know there is only one God and, yes, he does delight in you and I know he has great things for you to accomplish. I am praying for safe travel mercies for you and I can't wait to see you on Tuesday, which as you know, is our 57th wedding anniversary. We will receive this year the best present ever -- you!! Please give our regards to all the crew and helpers for the good care they took of you during your time on the ship. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth, my prayers for you luggage will begin this morning! I know that you are more capable than just about anyone I know to handle both life's little curve balls, and life's really big curve balls. I will be praying for your life after this summer, but I am also fully confident that something amazing will happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Seth....I can't believe you are heading home! While a part of me is excited because this means Abay can come into our lives, I am totally shedding tears for you right now! Safe travels, my friend!!!!

    And....my personal favorite verse from Proverbs that got me through the most challenging 9 month limbo state of my life: "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21"

    ReplyDelete