19 March 2011

beach

Last night, I decided to/was coaxed into going to the beach.

The journey started when we left the ship around 9am and walked about 10-15 minutes from the ship to another dock in our port.  Our mode of transportation today would be fishing boat.  Now let me explain: typically, Mercy Shippers will either use an MS Land Rover or more likely, they rent a poda poda.  A poda poda is basically the local taxi, somewhat like a 15 passenger van, though smaller and designed for more like 20 people. They are EVERYWHERE.  You can rent them (driver included!) for 250,000-300,000 Leones a day ($60-70 USD), which is a pretty good deal if split between a bunch of people.  The caveat to this is that, as mentioned in previous posts, the traffic is Freetown is awful at best.  A trip to the beach (depending on which beach and the traffic) could take up to 3 hours, one way.  Now if you are like me, a trip that long does not sound that pleasant when sitting with 18 other people in a tin box.  Luckily for me, a small group was going to try taking a "water taxi."  Jeff, a crew member from Canada, had met a guy who owned a boat and eventually they worked out a plan for the driver to take us to the beach.  It sounded a bit unofficial (to say the least), but like I said, I was  kindly peer pressured into going, so I just went along.  So here we are, at Dock Number 1, waiting for the mystery "water taxi" to arrive: a Ukrainian, an Australian, an Austrian, two Canadians, and three Americans.  Waiting.  Waiting.  Waiting.  A phone call to the driver said he would be at the dock in 15 minutes.  A mere HOUR AND A HALF later, he arrived.  (BUBS, I hope you are reading this).  Considering he was supposed to be there at 8:45, he was about two hours late.  When he arrived, Jeff told him he was late and that it wasn't good for his business and how in America and Europe we are used to operating on strict schedules and timeframes.  The driver then replied indignantly "I've been to Europe--I know what time is," as though time doesn't really exist in Africa.  Anyway, the "water taxi" turned out to be a wooden fishing boat, similar to the one shown here.  (I didn't bring my camera along because I wasn't sure what the beach would be like and I didn't want it to get nicked.)


So we all piled into the boat.  The fact that there were no life-jackets, or any personal flotation devices for that matter, only added to my wariness/general concern for this trip.  As we left the dock for the "50 minute" ride to the beach, I wondered what exactly I was in store for.  

The sun was very hot, but the boat ride lent a nice breeze as we jetted along the Freetown coast.  We passed several other fishing boats (actually fishing) and about an hour into the journey, we began to question exactly how long this trip would be.  The owner assured us we were close, but that we would have to stop in their fishing village to refuel, as this was the first time they had taken passengers all the way to the beach we were headed to.  Further down the coast, we pulled into a small bay and anchored, as some of the boat operators went to get more gas.  As we bobbed up and down, enjoying our packed sandwiches and waving to the children on the nearby rocks, a woman waded into the water, headed for our boat.  When she got closer, we realized that she had her less-than-a-year-old albino baby with her.  She came up to our boat and tried to give us her child!!  I understand that being black parents to a white baby in Africa would be shocking to say the least, but it was equally as shocking for us to be offered a child for the taking.  We politely declined and she went back to the village.  This is Africa.  

About a half hour later, we were on our way again.  15 more minutes they told us.  Finally, at around 1:15 we anchored.  The "50 minute" boat ride turned out to be a 2.5 hour excursion.  Apparently, time doesn't exist in Africa.  (BUBS, again, I hope you are reading this.)  Because I didn't think we would be on the boat that long, I failed to apply sunscreen.  Mistake.  BIG mistake.  Before I even set foot on the sand, I had a legitimate farmer's tan in just the time on the boat.  My arms and legs are currently bright red and sore, but whatever, we had made it to the beach.

River No. 2 Beach is a pristine strip of white sand, dotted with umbrellas and thatched-roof cabanas.  I'm not sure if there is a River No. 1 Beach (probably not), but this was our little piece of paradise for the afternoon.  After getting off the boat and finding a spot with some other Mercy Shippers who had arrived earlier, we went straight for the bar and got Cokes and Fantas, served in glass bottles.  After a quick nap, we spent the next few hours in the water, jumping waves and body surfing.  The beach was barely populated and the surrounding high, lush mountains and the palm trees was just like what I imagined Hawaii to be like.  You would have never known we were in a text-book third-world country.  Time passed and soon we settled up our food tab and got back on the boat, this time with three more MSers who decided to join us.  The ride back was MUCH more pleasant, as the sun was setting, making for a cool breezy ride.  This time it only took an hour and 45 minutes--no need to refuel.  Upon return, we ate some spaghetti that was waiting for us (we had missed dinner) and then a few of us decided to take a quick dip in the newly opened pool on the top of the ship.  It was cold but definitely a fun ending to a great day.  I showered and now I'm in the library typing this post to you fine people.  I can't believe this was all just today and that I still have a whole other day off tomorrow!  I'm glad I decided to go outside of my comfort zone today and go on this crazy trip to the beach. Definitely worth it.  

Tomorrow I plan on A) not exposing myself to direct UV rays and B) making oatmeal cookies in the crew galley...I'm craving them.  

4 comments:

  1. Seth, if a career in the field of medicine doesn't turn out, consider journalism. Seriously, your blog updates are absolutely fantastic, and make me feel like I'm right next to you. I miss you a ton and I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth, To echo the above comment, I knew you would be an awesome blogger about all your adventures!! Thanks for helping us feel like we're right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you couldn't stay out of the kitchen! It's part of your heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a heart attack reading this! But, keep it coming as I am enjoying your wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete