26 November 2011

good challenge, days 22 and 23 and 24

DAY 22: Document the Thing you Spend Most of the Day Looking At

Normally, when I'm working in the OR office, I spend a sizable chunk of my day looking at my computer.  As you may have surmised, a desktop computer is not the most interest thing to photograph.

This week, I have been working in the Mercy Ships Academy, the on-ship school for kids on board.  It covers all grades, Preschool to 12th grade.  I had mentioned to my friend Angie, the 4th/5th grade teacher, that I had done some substitute teaching back home, and when it came time for her vacation this week, I was asked to cover her classes!  It has been great being back in the classroom this past week (I have one more day left on Monday).  The best part is that I already knew the kids, just from seeing them around the ship or working with their parents.  On my first day in the class, I brought a bunch of scrub caps for the kids to wear, since that is normally part of my job.

The Ladies and Gentlemen of 4th and 5th grade (L to R): 
Theo, Rick, Caleb, Nathaniel, Eli, Kylie, and Deborah

DAY 23: Document a Mentor


This is Laura Z.  Yes, we pretty much always use her last initial in reference to her.  Laura Z. is a ward nurse in the hospital and serves as the Plastics and Orthopaedics Ward Team Leader as well as one of the Assistant Ward Supervisors.  A Ward is her realm, and she does a darn fine job at keeping those patients and nurses in check.  Laura has been serving with Mercy Ships since 2008.  I can't remember how we first met, but when I first arrived, she really took me under her wing and gave me a heads up as to how the organization, particularly the hospital, operates.  She quietly listens when I need to vent, and the advice she can offer from her long Mercy Ships experience is always welcome.  As for the crazed look on her face: I was interrupting her Thanksgiving dinner.  Oops.  

DAY 24: Document Giving Thanks

Knowing that I love pumpkin pie and that Thanksgiving isn't complete without it, I resolved several months ago to make pumpkin pies for this past Thursday.  Given that resources are limited on the ship, I had a challenge before me.  But nothing that a well-packed care package couldn't resolve!  In may (I think), I had my mom mail several cans of pumpkin, evaporated milk, and various spices to the Mercy Ships IOC in Texas.  From there, the box was placed in a container, then on a ship which eventually made it to Freetown, and then to my welcoming arms...the process took a mere two months.  Whatever, it didn't matter...the pumpkin made it here way before the end of rainy season, so all was a go for pie.  

Knowing that many people would want a slice, on Wednesday night I made two different recipes of dough--enough for four pies.

Enter Thanksgiving Thursday.  I had decided to take PTO (personal time off) that day so that I could sleep in, make the pies, and just generally enjoy a day that I have never worked on in my life.  My day could be divided into three main categories: sleeping, running from one end of the ship to the other, and eating.  That's pretty much what I did all day.  The night before, I had only found one pie plate in the crew galley (slight panic), so after talking to some folks higher-up, I managed to get another one plus a larger torte pan.  

Never having made pumpkin pie, I went with the Libby's classic recipe...the one on the can.  This filled the two regular pie plates, leaving me with two more heaps of dough and the torte pan.  Wanting to try something new, I had been searching earlier in the day on my go-to recipe site called foodgawker.com.  When I typed in "pumpkin pie," the first result was called "Pumpkin pie to knock your socks off!"  How could I not be intrigued?  The recipe was similar to others I had seen, with a few changes, like whipping cream instead of evaporated milk.  Additionally, it featured a pecan-struesel topping...need I say more?  Despite using a larger pan, the filling fit in perfectly.  I wished all three pies well as I placed them in the ovens.  (The crew galley has six separate stoves/ovens, so when it isn't busy, I can use multiple ovens at one time--it's great.)

Fast forward an hour and I have three, cinnamon-scented pies cooling, just waiting to reach eager stomachs.
  
The two Libby's pies: classic and time-tested.

The "knock your socks off" pie.  Yes.  Yes it did. 

Sorry Libby's, put this was easily the best pumpkin pie that has ever graced my palate.  Out with the old, in with the new.  Needless to say, I, along with everyone else who ate some, am thankful for pumpkin pie.  

Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!
Front Row: Gini, Ezra, Shannon, Alex.
Second Row: Cyle, Tim, Karin, David, Melissa, Jay, Melissa, Sharon, Rob, me.

I hope everyone had/has a wonderful Thanksgiving, Black Friday, weekend of leftovers, and ensuing back-to-work Monday!


1 comment:

  1. Your pies really looked so nice and I bet they tasted good, too. You will have to bake the new pie for us when you come home.

    ReplyDelete