27 November 2011

good challenge, days 20 and 27

DAY 20: Document the Inside of your Fridge


Here is an annotated photo of the inside of my cabin's small refrigerator.  Any questions: just ask.  

DAY 27: Document Sunday Morning

Allow me to preface that it would be impossible for me to document Sunday morning, as I slept through the entirety of it.  

I did, however, document one of the first things I did after waking up.


What are those things, you ask?  That would be the two feet long antennae from the giant lobster I had for lunch.  

I've had lobster before, but never the entire lobster.  I always imagined my first whole lobster experience would  be at some little roadside shack in coastal Maine, sitting at a picnic table with butter running down my chin.  Or at the very least, it would be at the Red Lobster, where my family eats almost every Sunday after church.  But alas, I encountered my first whole steamed lobster in the dining room of the Africa Mercy.  This is how it came to be:

Friday evening at dinner, as the dining room was emptying, Ken, the new food services manager, came around to our table to see if anyone would be interested in lobster for lunch on the weekend.  He had bought some lobsters the week before (which were made into a delicious shrimp and lobster bisque for the crew); his lobster contact had called him, offering more of the crustacean at a very low price: only 26,000 Leones per lobster!  I immediately went and got the cash (26,000 Leones = less than $6.00!)  

So this afternoon, I got a phone call saying that lunch was being served!  I came upstairs to a small colony of the steamed-red critters, just waiting to be torn apart.  The ten or so of us sat down as we reveled at the plates, complete with a beef kabab and baked potato--a real surf and turf platter!  


To compliment the seafood, there was also a red-wine-butter sauce that was excellent.  Ken gave us all a tutorial in how to dismantled the spiky shell and get to the meat.  Despite being poked several times, it was all worth it.  The tail revealed a large chunk of sweet, white meat.  Definitely worth the six-dollar investment.    The funniest parts of the whole afternoon were the comments from the Davies children, Luke and Megan, whose parents were enjoying the meal.  Luke told his dad very definitively, "You can't eat that!  It is way too hard!" and then proceeded to tap the shell with a knife.  Megan's eyes grew large as her mom scooped out several spoonfuls of orange mush, the roe, and said, "That is a lot of baby lobsters."  

2 comments:

  1. Papa, Aunt Marie and I did have fresh lobster at a little coastal town in Maine. It was Booth Bay Harbor and the lobster was steamed for us right there. Uncle Tony opted for a hamburger. We did the whole lobster but I vowed and declared that the next lobster I had would be just the tail! I am glad you enjoyed it and the lobsters were very big. You are having just one new experience after another, aren't you? I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seth. I met your friend, Bethany, while I was at YL Rockbridge this weekend. She encouraged me to read your blog, which is so fun and interesting, for I'll be boarding Africa Mercy is an Eye Team Operations Assistant. I'm so excited! I moved to VA from CO this summer. I'm exploring "new horizons" and was seeking what God had next in life as He lives through me. And this position opened. So I'm a-comin'. I'd love to talk with you when you are stateside in December- I have lots of questions.
    Brief bio- I've raised my family, home educated my 3 kids, then taught science in public high school/comminity college in Colorado Springs, had a crazy desire to try nursing, got my LPN, moved to VA, helping start the new Louisa Cty YL club as volunteer leader for the gals and on Adult Mjnistry team... And ta-daaa- now Mercy Ships. I'm old enough to be your Mom- so what would you want to tell your Mom if she was preparing for the Togo service? That's a long I introduction. :). Here's my email Keli.m.price@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete